Wednesday, September 21, 2011

54 and Counting


The Rangers went 54 years between Stanley Cup three and Stanley Cup four. Well, me and the missus are celebrating our 54th wedding anniversary today. Callers don't say congrats anymore. It's more like, "Mom is going to heaven", aren't we all. Our life somehow mirrors the Rangers. However, I will say our 54 years have had more ups than the Rangers. Thank God for that.

The Rangers come into the season with high hopes because of the addition of Brad Richards. But where have we heard that before? We had high hopes when Gaborik showed up. I forget the exact high hope before Gabby, but I do recall names like Bure, Lindros, Kaminsky and all the wonderful (?) draft picks.

Of course in those years we didn't have the all-knowing genius coach that we have now. But we have had for a long time the all-everything Stealth GM. You remember him? "If I had the money the Rangers have I would win the Cup." Guess what? He has had the money, and then some, and what has he won? Gotz!!

But like a good marriage, hope springs eternal. So we hope and pray and continue to change our lines more often than a two-bit politician changes positions. One thing about our marriage, for 54 years we were fairly consistent, sometimes boring. Meanwhile, the Rangers have been inconsistent and boring.

So marriage-wise we are shooting for another 20 years. I dare say that 20 years from now, me or my successor will be writing about how the Rangers picked up this great player and that we have a chance to make the playoffs. But first check out his linemates and see how long he stays on the same line.

ICINGS: I would ask a special favor from you viewers. My little friend Jake Feldman has suffered a relapse and is back in Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Center needing a bone marrow transplant. Please say a prayer for Jake Feldman. I would appreciate it. God bless you all!



Related Articles by Categories


4 comments:

  • Section 335 said...
     

    Congratulations to you and the Mrs. Especially to her, who has had to watch you endure so many painful hockey seasons.

    I wish you and yours another 54 years and several Stanley Cups!

  • Wes said...
     

    A Jewish man went to see the rabbi. "Rabbi," he said, "something terrible is happening and I have to talk to you about it."

    The rabbi asked, "What's wrong?" The rabbi, very surprised by this, asked, "How can that be?" The man then pleaded, "I'm telling you, I'm certain she's poisoning me. What should I do?" The rabbi then offered, "Tell you what. Let me talk to her, I'll see what I can find out and I'll let you know."
    A week later the rabbi called the man and said, "Well, I spoke with your wife. I was on the phone with her for three hours. Do you want to hear my advice?"

    The man anxiously replied, "Yes, Yes!"

    And the rabbi said, "Take the poison."

  • Scotty Hockey said...
     

    Congrats Pundit, and best wishes to Jake on a full and speedy recovery.

  • Graying Mantis said...
     

    Thanks for sharing about Jake. He and his family will be in my prayers.

New York Rangers (@NYRangers) | Twitter

NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) | Twitter

NHL on TNT (@NHL_On_TNT) | Twitter

The Hockey Writers (@TheHockeyWriter) | Twitter

Blueshirt Banter (@BlueshirtBanter) | Twitter

NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) | Twitter

Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) | Twitter

NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) | Twitter

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter