Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bah Humbug!

I know it's early, but that is exactly what my granddaughter Allessandra shouted to me over the phone after she inquired as to how the Rangers did last night. The Rangers right now are the Grinches. They will ruin every holiday that comes around this year. The Rangers are an equal opportunity holiday ruiner, regardless of creed, race or nationality. Their ineptness knows no bounds and their effort is pathetic and has no spirit.

One of my readers wanted to know how I have put up with this for 70+ years. I'm a masochist. It wasn't too bad when the seasons started in October and ended in April. Now they go from September to June. Before their were a few teams who made the playoffs and you knew fairly early when the Rangers would be eliminated. Now there are so many teams and quite a few are as bad as the Rangers so its difficult to know when they will be eliminated. So we keep backing in and we hear Sam and Joe shout, "The Rangers make the playoffs," like it was the Yankees adding another Championship.

Last night? Another loss. Gaborik tried. A goal and an assist. Lundqvist tried but was beaten again by another breakaway. Two goals we scored and Tortorella says we are stuck on two goals. Tortorella has now become the shake and bake coach. No line hits the ice two shifts in a row without a change in personnel. We put guys on the point on the PP who can't shoot, Drury, guys who can't hold the puck in, Rozsival, and guys who should be in Hartford, Redden.

But what's the use. This has been going on for seventy plus years and I don't think there are enough great ghosts of the past to save this sinking ship. How bad is it. One of the fans last night was overheard talking to his buddy, "Tortorella is safe. His name is too long to get up a good 'fire Tortorella' chant. In Italian we have a phrase, "The fish stinks from the head". You figure it out where the problem is.



Related Articles by Categories


9 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Mike - too early to feel humbug about things, I'm with you there.
    Let's not let it get all of us down.

    We've all heard about the miracle of Christmas.
    What if Mr. Dolan woke up on Christmas morning a hockey fan?

    I realize that's a pretty big miracle, but since I'm asking I might as well ask big ...

  • Anonymous said...
     

    You know I agree with Blow-Me-Down...although the Rangers are a bit in the tank they have a good chance to pick it up in December against a bunch of sub par teams.

    If they can't get it done this month then it's over.

    Great post and thanks for the add!

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Actually, I was thinking of Dolan waking up Christmas morn and firing Sather.

    That's kind of mean, isn't it?

    I guess I still just enjoy seeing a real effort from the team. I'm hooked, watching them drives me crazy but I'm always back for more.
    There is some kind of clinical term for this, but I don't want to admit to it!

  • jb said...
     

    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results -- Albert Einstein

  • mike said...
     

    blow-me-down-Guys like you are never happy. Next thing you will want a Stanley Cup.

  • mike said...
     

    blueshirtdirt-Ive got news for you. The Rangers are a sub par team.

  • mike said...
     

    blow-me-down-Masochism!!

  • mike said...
     

    jb-Can this Einstein guy coach?

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Okay - an insane masochist.

    I can live with that.

New York Rangers (@NYRangers) | Twitter

NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) | Twitter

NHL on TNT (@NHL_On_TNT) | Twitter

The Hockey Writers (@TheHockeyWriter) | Twitter

Blueshirt Banter (@BlueshirtBanter) | Twitter

NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) | Twitter

Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) | Twitter

NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) | Twitter

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter