Thursday, February 09, 2012

I was dreaming I was Glen Sather ...

which you might normally consider to be a serious nightmare, but it wasn't.  Why?  Because, I knew I was not Glen Sather and I enjoyed figuring out how I would make serious run for the Cup this year without hurting the team either this year or in the future.  So, this was my dream.

First, I looked at my greatest need.  Second, my underachieving assets and available assets.  Then, how I might fill my needs from trading partners who might want my assets and be able to address my needs.



What is the Rangers' biggest need?  That is pretty simple.  Fixing the power play.  What is wrong with it?  Too simple.  At the moment, goalies know that if they focus on our right wingers - Callie and Gabbi - they can stop the power play.  Until the Rangers have either a real threat from the point or a left wing threat the power play is easy to stop.  Teams know they can collapse the box and cut off all passes to our right wing.

Who are my underachieving assets?  My left wingers, Dubinsky and Wolski are my greatest underachieving assets.  They are the fourth and fifth largest contracts - getting a total of $7,000,000.  Combined, they have six goals. That is absurd.  And, it is amazing we are doing so well while getting so little.

What are my available assets?  Obviously my left wingers Dubbi and Wolski.  And, while you cannot have too many defensemen - you can have more than you need.  Stahl, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Del Z, McIlrath and Erixon are the future core seven.  Every other defender is available to trade.  Zuccarello-Aasen is available. Anisimov is available. And, John Mitchell has made himself into a trade-able asset too.

How might I fill my needs?  First, I look at left wing.  Ray Whitney comes to mind, but Phoenix is in the hunt for a playoff spot so he is too expensive if even available.  Two other players come to mind on left wing who might be available: Tuomo Ruutu and Ryan Smyth. Ruutu would be a great long term asset. However, Carolina will not take either Dubbi or Wolski for Ruutu. 

However, there is a way to get Ruutu.  Who is the logical taker of Dubbi's contract?  The answer is my old friend Brian Burke in Toronto.  Toronto is on the edge of making the playoffs, and could use Dubbi to make it over the top.  Burke loves Dubbi and should be willing to give up Nazem Kadri and if I am lucky a third round pick for him.  Carolina should be willing to to give Ruutu for for Kadri, Wolski, Zuccarello, and a non-core defenseman.

Smyth should be available for cheap, and if so, is a worthwhile rental.  Should not cost too much - maybe Toronto's third round pick and John Mitchell? 

Then, before I woke up, I traded Anisimov and Sauer or Erixon for Ryan Suter.

Dubbi, Anisimov, and Mitchel off of the current lineup, for Suter, Ruutu and Smyth.

But, it was only a dream.



Related Articles by Categories


6 comments:

  • Joseph said...
     

    Nice Dream ;)

  • Wingman said...
     

    Thats a beauty. Why does Carolina take Nazem Kadri etc for Tuomo Ruutu?

  • Section 335 said...
     

    Ruutu is in play. Unclear what his future with the Hurricanes is now.

    http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/tuomo-ruutu-just-might-wind-up-off-the-market-as-well/

  • Section 335 said...
     

    Also, Ruutu for Nazem has been discussed - but Toronto seems unwilling. http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1127470--reality-check-tuomo-ruutu-and-the-maple-leafs-trade-rumour-of-the-day

  • andy said...
     

    Offer Mitchell, Zuccarello, Wolski, Boyle and Rupp. See what you can get from those players, call up Avery and Wellman. Damn that was a good dream...

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Wolski is not just underachieving, he is so distant from the reality of what the Rangers are that I do not really consider him a part of the team. I am quite serious, and not simply conveying my own feelings (he completely and totally sucks).

    Do something to get rid of this expensive wart on the Rangers team. I don't want to see Wolski skating again. Getting rid of him would be part of continuous improvement.

    And, Ruutu will be resigned by the Hurricanes, I am pretty sure. I hope so, as I don't want him on the Rangers. Get a true scorer, don't fool around.

New York Rangers (@NYRangers) | Twitter

NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) | Twitter

NHL on TNT (@NHL_On_TNT) | Twitter

The Hockey Writers (@TheHockeyWriter) | Twitter

Blueshirt Banter (@BlueshirtBanter) | Twitter

NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) | Twitter

Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) | Twitter

NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) | Twitter

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter