Saturday, March 03, 2007

Reverse Procedure Brings Positive Results

So now after 33 games on home ice the Rangers finally figured out how to win. Allow the other team to score the first two goals and then come back and win the game. It took a while and was very frustrating watching the Rangers flounder but the end result was a win. Is it going to guarantee the Rangers a playoff spot? No, but who cares right now. Lets live for the moment. This was a great and exciting comeback for the Rangers and their fans.

Stephen Valiquette started his first game in goal for the Rangers and at 1:35 of the first period he was looking at a 1-0 deficit on a soft goal allowed to Brad Boyes (14). When ex Ranger Radek Dvorak snapped one in at the 17:24 it was 2-0 and Valiquette looked like he was in for a short day and the possibility of a major league rout of the Rangers looked immenent.

But Valiquette and the Rangers hung on and it wasn't until the 11:14 mark of the third period when Rachunek (5), on a power play, caught the corner of the net to make it 2-1. Then on a huge turnover by the Blues, Rachunek fed Sean Avery (12), left alone in front of the net, who fired a bullet into the net, tying the game and setting off an eruption and bringing the kid laden crowd to its feet amid a frenzy of cheers and gooals-gooals! The Blues called a time out.

The Rangers pressed hard for the win in OT. Jagr almost won it with a beautiful spinarama and his shot was headed for the far corner but was stopped with a great save by Blues goalie Curtis Sanford. But all the excitement and drama was slated for the shootout. The abominable shootout that has absolutely nothing to do with hockey. The shootout. The answer to the TV Networks fears about long OT games cutting into their prime time money making schedules.

Renney decided to go first again. This time Nylander made him look good by putting the Rangers one up. However, Lee Stempniak tied it and when number two shooter Prucha fanned on his shot, Doug Weight put the Blues up 2-1 and the Rangers had only one shot left. The stage was set for some high drama as Jaromir Jagr came on the ice to a roar of cheers. The man who had stayed away from these proceedings, the man who has said that he doesn't feel and do well in these hooplas, had the puck and the game on his stick. He delivered by stuffing the puck past Sanford and the crowd gave out with an enormous roar. Was it a roar of jubilation or of relief? No matter. Jagr had come through and tied the game and all the previous failings and disappointments were forgotten. But Valiquette had to stop Brad Boyes, who shot wide on the winning attempt and when shootout specialist Hossa (3-4) scored, Valiquette had only to stop Glen Metropolit to win it for the Rangers. He made the save and the Rangers won the game. Avery, Valiquette and Hossa were number one, two and three stars.

The earlier cries of "Refund", "Refund", "Refund" were soon forgotten by the crowd.

ICINGS: Two ceremonies, one before and one between periods, honored ex-Ranger goalie and current Blue's President John Davidson and linesman Pat Dapuzzo. Wouldn't JD look good as the Ranger President and GM right now instead of the elusive and evasive Glen Sather who has brought this team to the chaos it is currently in. Pat Dapuzzo was honored for officiating in his 1500 game. He was given a plaque and his wife was given a bouquet of Roses by league officials. Wow! A bouquet of Roses. One Rose for every 125 games.

Related Articles by Categories


  • Stevens8204 said...

    I liked what I see....good blog...solid comeback by the Rangers today in a game they absolutely needed. I was wondering if you would be interested in The NHL Arena Program. It's at Check it out.