Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's Time For Hockey

There we were sitting in front of the TV set watching the 700th rerun of Bonanza, my wife, number two daughter visiting from Tennessee and myself when the phone rang. It was number one son asking how I felt and then telling me it was time to get off my butt and return to the hockey wars. Number two daughter chimed in, there are no private phone calls in my house, and it turned into an avalanche when wifie joined the party. So here I am. For better or worse, I am back.

Back to what I may ask? After watching a couple of games there was some excitement with the young guys, but most of them are back in Hartford. Two of the young D men, Del Zotto and Gilroy, look very good. The two veteran D men, Redden and Rozsival, look very bad. The loss to the Capitals in the last game saw two giveaways by Rozsival that led to the Caps first two goals. Nothing new here. I didn't see much of the game as I had to retire for an early morning in the dialysis center, where I go three times a week. Let me say this, hockey fans. Going to the dialysis center three times a week is no worse than having to watch the Rangers for the last 70 plus years. Trust me on that.

We have a new coach, John Tortorella, who I was excited about last year. I'm less excited about him since the Avery affair and the spat with the fans in the stands. Torts is talking good right now and saying all the right words. Words like, performance is going to dictate playing time, not big contracts. Who wants to make a small bet that Redden and Rozsival will lead the D men with ice time game after game with no regard to their poor play? There are talkers and doers and we shall see what Tortorella is.

But it is a long season and let's not over analyze this early. Pray for Henrik Lundquist as he is truly the last line of defense. Unless something unusual occurs it looks like another nail biter down to the end in the battle for 7th and 8th place. I just hope that my summer of discontent don't turn into a winter of disaster.



Related Articles by Categories


10 comments:

  • puck zombie said...
     

    The defense will be totally undressed this year under the Torts offensively oriented system and something drastic will have to be done about Redden & Rozsival. The MSG crowd may force the issue.

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Mike, nice to hear your thoughts.

    Hopefully, MDZ is hear after nine games. Here is a guy who has nothing to gain by being shipped back to juniors, he already shows his capacity for the game, and there is nothing to suggest he cannot grow at the NHL level right now.
    I mostly agree with you about Redden and Roszival, also known as R & R, or Rest and Relaxation.
    I actually hold much more hope for improvement with Redden. I just wish Rozsival would be traded. Very very overrated defenseman.

    I, like many others, was quite impressed by Chad Johnson. He looked very sharp and composed, can't wait to see him again.

    The goals against will be up, so will the goals for. Where that leaves us is anybody's guess.

  • Luke said...
     

    Good to have you back Mike. I look forward to more of your insights throughout the season.

    Luke

  • Dan Stryker said...
     

    Ditto on what Luke said, glad to have you back Mike.

    I predict Torts will have a nervous breakdown after watching this team play this year... especially the "R&R" defensive line...

  • wes said...
     

    Great to hear you're back pundit.

    Let's give them hell again this year if they can't get their act together yet again. Like the "R&R" boys who need some big time backbone.

    "The wishbone will never replace the backbone." - Will Henry

  • mike said...
     

    puck zombie-Its been done before by the MSG crowds. Torts can only defend so much.

  • mike said...
     

    blow-me-down-You're better than me. I hold no hope for Redden. Pray for Lundqvist.

  • mike said...
     

    Luke-Thanks for your thoughts.

  • mike said...
     

    Dan Stryker-Thanks. Torts may have more interfaces with the fans this year trying to protect R & R and the big goon.

  • mike said...
     

    Wes-Great saying. We will have to see how this "soap opera" plays out.

New York Rangers (@NYRangers) | Twitter

NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) | Twitter

NHL on TNT (@NHL_On_TNT) | Twitter

The Hockey Writers (@TheHockeyWriter) | Twitter

Blueshirt Banter (@BlueshirtBanter) | Twitter

NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) | Twitter

Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) | Twitter

NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) | Twitter

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter