Saturday, April 09, 2011

Barely Breathing

One more time the Rangers go into the last game of the season with their playoff hopes on the line. Only this time its not their game to win or lose. This time they must hope that Tampa Bay can beat Carolina. In the convaluted NHL the Hurricanes will make the playoffs, with a win, over the Rangers even though the Rangers will have three more wins than Carolina. Only in Bettman's NHL folks.

The Rangers fell behind twice and came back to tie it both times. The first tie was caused in dramatic fashion by Chris Drury getting back in the lineup and scoring his first goal of the year. The second tie was by Wolski and after McDonagh got the game winner, his first, the Rangers put it away with goals by Prust and Prospal.

I watched most of the game on the Ranger channel until the homer boys, Sam and Joe, got to me. Their endless cheerleading for coach disagreeable finally got to me when they mentioned that he told the team to 'have fun'. Coach disagreeable who has thrown more players under the bus than any coach I can ever remember, was telling his players to 'have fun'. I wonder how much fun he would have had if the Rangers had lost and he had to answer difficult questions in the news conference?

----
ICINGS:

Ryan McDonagh's first goal and the game winner, Prospal with the assist played a very strong game:

----
Rangers captain Chris Drury scores his first goal of the season in his first shift:

----
Stats wrap-up:
The Rangers won the faceoff battle: 49 (61%) to 30 for NJ
Had more hits: 40 to 22 for NJ
More blocked shots: 14 to 6 for NJ



Related Articles by Categories


7 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Quite the day for the Rangers and their supporters.
    I figured they had a good chance at beating the Debs but never thought the Lightning were going to show up with an almost fully dressed squad and treat it like a game that really mattered.

    Well, gosh darn, Tampa did. And now I'm thinking of how much I am looking forward to the rematch against the Caps. I never felt good about the way that one got away a few years ago.

    What a day.

  • Section 335 said...
     

    I have to boast a little bit. On this blog on Oct 1, 2010 I predicted theRangers would finish with 93 points! Not too shabby. Was right prior year too!

  • jb said...
     

    Sec. 335, nice call back on October 1st, 93 points on the button. We'll have to get your thoughts for next season in the fall.

    I was also struck dumb by the Lightning coming up big in a game that didn't matter to them. I am so glad they did. I just want to see some more hockey with this team. I sense Lundqvist is on a mission. He's talked about now easy it is to say focused since he knows he's going to play every day. I just hope he stays in one piece.

  • mike said...
     

    blow-me-down-Yes we have a good shot at them with Lundqvist.

  • mike said...
     

    Section 335-Right on. Now give me the numbers for the big lotto jackpot.

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Section 335 - not bad, but try to be more precise next year!!
    Good call. Who really thought that 93 points would just squeak a team into the playoffs?

    Henrik is so intense. I'm so happy he gets a chance in a playoff round, happy for everybody obviously. I still cannot really tell what the Caps will bring, they can look flat, and then look like what all that talent together should look like.
    Henke will shine, I just know it.

  • mike said...
     

    jb-The plan against the Caps is first, Lundqvist. Second, Lundqvist and third, Lundqvist.

New York Rangers (@NYRangers) | Twitter

NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) | Twitter

NHL on TNT (@NHL_On_TNT) | Twitter

The Hockey Writers (@TheHockeyWriter) | Twitter

Blueshirt Banter (@BlueshirtBanter) | Twitter

NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) | Twitter

Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) | Twitter

NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) | Twitter

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter